Slow-Cooker Italian Chicken
- 1-2 packages chicken tenderloins or thin sliced chicken breasts (1-2 pounds total)
- canola or olive oil
- Trader Joe’s Mirepoix—1 container (you can also chop an onion, a couple carrots and a couple ribs of celery….but TJs makes it so easy to skip this step if you’re in a hurry)
- Fresh oregano—optional
- 2 Tbsp. white wine (I get a screw-top bottle and always keep it in the fridge to deglaze a pan or use in a sauce)
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken stock (get the resealable containers that can be refrigerated after opening)
- 1-2 cups artichoke hearts (I buy the large jar of marinated hearts from Costco or wherever I happen to be….you can also use canned or frozen…defrost before using)
- 1 Tbsp. cooking sherry—optional
- Put about a cup of flour in a shallow dish/container and add salt and pepper to the flour. Cut the chicken tenders in half (or if using thin-sliced breasts, cut them into thirds). Toss the chicken in the seasoned flour.
- Heat a large sauté pan over MEDIUM-HIGH heat and then add about 2 Tbsp. canola oil. Let the oil heat until shimmering—you will know it is hot enough if you throw a drop of water in and it sizzles immediately.
- Brown the chicken—you will probably need to do this in 2 batches—for about 2-3 minutes per side so it is golden. It does not need to be cooked all the way through. The heat should be high enough to sizzle the chicken….but NOT so high enough that anything starts burning. If the pan is too dry, add more oil. When the chicken is done, remove it to a plate and set aside.
- Dump the mirepoix into the pan and sauté, stirring occasionally, about 6-10 minutes or until the vegetables are softened. Add the oregano and stir about 1 minute.
- Deglaze the pan with the wine and stir. Add the can of tomatoes (with juice) and the chicken broth, stir.
- Dump the whole pan of sauce into the slow cooker. Nestle the browned chicken on top of the sauce.
- Cook on high for about 3 hours, or on low 5-6 hours.
- 30 minutes before you want to serve the chicken, add the artichoke hearts and stir. 5 minutes before serving, add the sherry and stir well.
Nutrition In The Kitchen http://nutritioninthekitchen.org/