Use snacks as a little “island” to tide to next meal. Usually after school kids will need a substantial snack that includes some protein. Then try to avoid any snacking until dinner.
Any fruit or veggie—add on even a Tablespoon or 2 to increase F&V consumption or just increase your odds of a picky child eventually eating produce– Grapes (if child old enough), apples, Cuties, sliced pears, watermelon or other melon cubes, etc.
- Apple + peanut butter
- Sunflower seeds
- Yogurt—Trader Joe’s, Dannon, Fage, etc (do not recommend Light yogurts)
- Smoothie—frozen peaches/berries or any frozen or fresh fruit + plain yogurt or milk or soymilk + drizzle honey.
- Triscuits + string cheese
- Wheat thins or Ak Mak type cracker, peanut butter
- Cucumber slices, orange slices, cheese stick
- String cheese
- Hummus + pita chips
- Mini muffin (made or TJs)
- ½ bagel + cream cheese + fruit
- Graham cracker + yogurt
- Raisins + peanuts
- Mango + few spoonfuls yogurt
- Whole grain Goldfish + string cheese
- 1 graham cracker, slices banana, few peanuts
- Natural applesauce
- Natural “go-gurt” by Chobani Champions/Stonyfield Farms/Horizon