Looking for a healthy snack option that even the kids will love? These easy homemade granola bars are my go-to snack.
Homemade Granola Bars
Easy Homemade Granola Bars
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (I use the Trader Joe's brand)
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract (I love Nielsen-Massey brand)
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt (I like Diamond brand from Smart & Final)
- 1/4 cup plus 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup Marcona almonds, chopped finely (I get them from Costco)
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with a Silpat or other brand silicone baking mat.
- Add the syrup, sugar, vanilla, salt and oil in a large bowl and whisk well to combine. Add oats and almonds and mix well, so the dry ingredients are all coated.
- Transfer mixture to baking mat on the cookie sheet. Spread the mixture into a large rectangle, using a stiff metal spatula to press it into an even layer.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then turn the cookie sheet around and cover it with foil. Bake for another 10-15 minutes, until very light golden in color. Keep checking the color.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 1 hour. Cut into bars (they will not be perfectly even). Store wrapped in wax paper after the first day.
- Troubleshooting: You do not want the edges to burn. The color should be a very light golden. If you overbake them, try reducing the oven temperature the next time, and/or reducing the cooking time. If you plan to serve them to a group, I recommend a test run first, just so you can pinpoint the right time and temperature for best results.
Nutrition In The Kitchen http://nutritioninthekitchen.org/