- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1 shallot, diced
- olive oil
- 1/2 cup chicken broth, heated
- 1 Tbsp. fresh basil, torn into pieces
- 2 Tbsp. heavy cream (optional)
- Rinse asparagus and steam till tender.
- Heat small saute pan, when hot, add 2 tsp of either butter or olive oil.
- Heat until sizzling. Add diced shallots and stir, over medium heat cooking for about 3 minutes (do not let shallots burn).
- Add to Vitamix or other high-powered blender: the cooked asparagus, the shallots, 1 Tbsp. olive oil, 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/8 tsp. black pepper, and HOT chicken broth.
- Puree for 3 minutes. Taste. Add more olive oil, salt and pepper if needed, and puree again about 30 seconds. When you are happy with the taste and consistency, add the fresh basil. Puree 1 minute. Add 1-2 Tbsp. of the heavy cream, puree 20 seconds, then serve.
Nutrition In The Kitchen http://nutritioninthekitchen.org/